ESXi, VM and Vagrant

bmurtagh
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone is currently running a Vagrant environment on top of an ESXi environment with a stack like:

ESXi Host => VMware VM => Vagrant VM boxes

I tried at the end of last week using ESXi 5.5 (free), Ubuntu 12.04 VM, and then Vagrant v1.6.1 (using VirtualBox) installed on the Ubuntu VM to boot additional VM's, but was failing due to VT-x not being enabled. I think the issue is that there are too many layers in the stack and the VT-x cannot be fully translated by VirtualBox from the hardware because VT-x and VT-d are enabled in the BIOS (and I was able to install ESXi + spin up a VM).

I'm curious to see if anyone is currently running a similar setup and if so, how were they able to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Brendan

Re: ESXi, VM and Vagrant

Torben Knerr
Hi Brendan,

as an alternative, you might want to try Vagrant with LXC instead of VirtualBox on the VMware WM - it's much faster than VirtualBox as well...

Check out

HTH,
Torben

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 4:48 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone is currently running a Vagrant environment on top of an ESXi environment with a stack like:

ESXi Host => VMware VM => Vagrant VM boxes

I tried at the end of last week using ESXi 5.5 (free), Ubuntu 12.04 VM, and then Vagrant v1.6.1 (using VirtualBox) installed on the Ubuntu VM to boot additional VM's, but was failing due to VT-x not being enabled. I think the issue is that there are too many layers in the stack and the VT-x cannot be fully translated by VirtualBox from the hardware because VT-x and VT-d are enabled in the BIOS (and I was able to install ESXi + spin up a VM).

I'm curious to see if anyone is currently running a similar setup and if so, how were they able to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Brendan

Re: ESXi, VM and Vagrant

can you share what do you want to do?

you can setup other hypervisors, like Torben said, LXC

but you can use libvirt for KVM or spin up an openstack, etc

if you can share a bit on what's the mail goal we can have a better idea what want to be done..

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 2:48 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Alvaro,

The main goal was to utilize our existing VMware infrastructure to spin up a VM (that can be scaled, cpu/mem) and install Vagrant inside that OS to then provision Vagrant boxes. Basically Virtual Machine inception.

ESXi + VMware VM would be the base. Inside the VMware VM, I'd like to install Vagrant, pull down our Chef repo, and then spin up our dev environments which typically consist of 7 to 9 Vagrant boxes.

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 2:48 AM, <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="ZUkQ04V-LIsJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">bmur...@...> wrote: