Displaying Information During a Vagrant Up

Displaying Information During a Vagrant Up

Lyndon Washington
Hi,

Is there a preferred pattern to follow if I want to output some information about "getting started" for a vagrant box once it starts? I am looking for a way to emulate the information I see about forwarded ports and provisioning messages that vagrant displays at the moment, but for my boxes default information.

The type of information I am hoping to display is a reminder to team members about the location of dev folders or services installed in the vagrant box.

Cheers,
-Lyndon-

Re: Displaying Information During a Vagrant Up

Nathan Fisher
Hi Lyndon,

A Vagrantfile is just Ruby so the easiest thing you could do is a heredoc fed into puts.

puts <<-EOT
You're description here.
EOT

A caveat of this approach is that it will print with any of vagrants commands.  A better approach would be to build a plugin that hooks into up process if that's the only time you want the message displayed;

Kind Regards,
Nathan