Deploying to AWS via vagrant

Ian Ragsdale
Hey guys, new user here. Started off by using Vagrant to test some chef scripts for deployment, and it occurred to me that with the AWS plugin it actually would make a great deployment tool.

So, I'm testing the ability to use it for that at the moment - I currently have a couple of EC2 instances managed by a single multi-machine vagrant configuration.

The biggest issue I see right now is that the Vagrant state isn't shared with the AWS provider - I would like to be able to do a "vagrant up --provider=aws" on one machine, and have a colleague be able to do "vagrant status --provider=aws" on another and see the status of those boxes.

In the short term, I think if I check the .vagrant directory in with the rest of our project, any other dev will be able to do that as long as their repository is up to date, but it would be really nice if the state lived in the "cloud".

I think you could use tags on the EC2 boxes to handle this pretty easily. If you give each box a "vagrant:name" tag that corresponds to it's name in vagrant, it would be easy to search for them by tag, and if you give each one a "vagrant:config" tag that defaults to "default" to but was configurable, then you could easily have multiple vagrant configurations coexisting on a single AWS account.

I've added an issue to the AWS provider to request this (https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant-aws/issues/35), but was thinking I might take a crack at it myself. Does anybody have any pointers? Is the list of boxes something that can be overridden by a plugin? Does it make sense for this to be part of the AWS plugin, or would it make more sense as a separate plugin?

Thanks,
Ian