Collision Detection and Reassignment with only one active box?

Collision Detection and Reassignment with only one active box?

Doug McClure
Why does Vagrant detect port collisions and reassign ports when I only have one active box?  I can see the value of doing this when I have multiple boxes spun up, but I don't and it keeps reassigning ports I need to have set one specific way.

I have had dozens of boxes spun up over time all using same ports so it leads me to think there is some cached file/config or something that vagrant checks during vagrant up process.

auto_config => false seems to have no change - reassignment still happens.

Any insights?

Vagrant 1.1.5 / VirtualBox 4.2.10 (tried 4.2.8 also).

Tks,

Doug

Re: Collision Detection and Reassignment with only one active box?

Mitchell Hashimoto
Doug,

Vagrant doesn't only detect active ports with other boxes, but active ports of any running process. Vagrant determines if a port is "active" if it is able to make a TCP connection with the port. Therefore, if it is reassigning your ports, it is able to make a TCP connection with that port!

I'd check if some other application is using the port.

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Doug McClure <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why does Vagrant detect port collisions and reassign ports when I only have one active box?  I can see the value of doing this when I have multiple boxes spun up, but I don't and it keeps reassigning ports I need to have set one specific way.

I have had dozens of boxes spun up over time all using same ports so it leads me to think there is some cached file/config or something that vagrant checks during vagrant up process.

auto_config => false seems to have no change - reassignment still happens.

Any insights?

Vagrant 1.1.5 / VirtualBox 4.2.10 (tried 4.2.8 also).

Tks,

Doug

Re: Collision Detection and Reassignment with only one active box?

Doug McClure
Looks like vmnat.exe (VMWare) holding all kinds of ports open that I normally forward when using VMWare Workstation. I had to shut down the service to make those go away. Wonder why that would occur when I'm not running the VMWare Workstation program....  I wonder if this might also be why I can't seem to get bridged networking working?

Thanks for your support! I <3 Vagrant!

Doug