Clarification of machine and provider specific config settings

Clarification of machine and provider specific config settings

Jimmy Cuadra

Anyone able to answer this question about config behavior? Question is in the Gist description. https://gist.github.com/jimmycuadra/5369005 Thanks!

Re: Clarification of machine and provider specific config settings

Mitchell Hashimoto
I answered, but for the sake of having it on the ML: Altering the config inside the blocks simply doesn't work.

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM, Jimmy Cuadra <[hidden email]> wrote:

Anyone able to answer this question about config behavior? Question is in the Gist description. https://gist.github.com/jimmycuadra/5369005 Thanks!

Re: Clarification of machine and provider specific config settings

Jimmy Cuadra
Thanks, Mitchell. I think my example may not have been very good at asking my question, though. Here is a real-world example of what I'm curious about:

https://github.com/dotcloud/docker/blob/master/Vagrantfile

Notice that `config.vm.box` and `config.vm.box_url` are being set in each provider-specific config block. This implies to me that those blocks are only executed and merged into the final configuration when using the machine/provider that applies. If that's the case, then what is the distinction between the top-level config object, and the machine/provider-specific config objects?