Can't 'Vagrant Up' more than one box simultaneously

Can't 'Vagrant Up' more than one box simultaneously

AaronO
I am running a build server with multiple Vagrant profiles that build on modification, often in parallel. They build from the same basebox, a centos-6.3_x86_64_minimal install, with the base OS being CentOS 6.3 also, running VirtualBox 4.2.8.

When 2 or more builds run in parallel during the import phase of 'vagrant up', all but one will fail due to a sharing violation of the vmdk of the base box. I have tried adding the basebox multiple times, but to no avail since the image is added to Virtualbox with the same name.

Is this a known limitation, a bug, or a quirk of my system?

If i were to build parallel my build time would be < than 5mins, but as it stands is closer to 40mins.

Cheers

Re: Can't 'Vagrant Up' more than one box simultaneously

Terrance Shepherd
It is definitely I known limitation and something I have been trying to address with the 2 pull requests I made to vagrant. I understand your needs as mine are similar. I biggest issue is that virtual box does not like performing multiple commands at the same time. If you need to speed up the import process, you may want to look at using an ssd or ram disk, which I understand does not solve the under lying issue.

You can track the my progress at the following links:
https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/pull/1391
https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/pull/1383