Berkshelf vagrant plugin won't install

Geoff Bowers
Folks,

Have been working through this excellent guide to cookbooks by RiotGames here:
http://vialstudios.com/guide-authoring-cookbooks.html

However, I'm hitting all kinds of problems with Berkshelf Vagrant plugin.

Am I right in thinking the recent release of Vagrant 1.1 has broken the plugin?

The guide says:
$ vagrant gem install berkshelf

Am assuming this now translates to:
$ vagrant plugin install berkshelf

But this generates a warning and this error:

Greyhame:myface modius$ vagrant plugin install berkshelf
[WARNING] Berkshelf not found in your Vagrant's RubyGems but your
Vagrantfile is attempting
[WARNING] to require the Berkshelf Vagrant plugin! Install the
Berkshelf Vagrant plugin or
[WARNING] remove the 'require "berkshelf/vagrant"' line from the top
of your Vagrantfile.

If you installed Vagrant by RubyGems:
  Install Berkshelf by running: "gem install berkshelf"
If you installed Vagrant by one of the pre-packaged installers:
  Install Berkshelf by running: "vagrant gem install berkshelf"

Installing the 'berkshelf' plugin. This can take a few minutes...
/Applications/Vagrant/embedded/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/installer.rb:562:in
`rescue in block in build_extensions': ERROR: Failed to build gem
native extension. (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

        /Applications/Vagrant/embedded/bin/ruby extconf.rb
creating Makefile

make
make: *** No rule to make target
`/Applications/Vagrant/embedded/include/ruby-1.9.1/x86_64-darwin12.2.1/ruby/config.h',
needed by `yajl.o'.  Stop.

Not sure how to proceed.

Should I be uninstalling Vagrant and going back to an earlier version? If so, which Vagrant version should I be using where vagrant gem install [blah] was the syntax?

Any help much appreciated!

-- geoff
http://www.daemon.com.au/
skype. gb.daemon
twitter. @modius

Re: Berkshelf vagrant plugin won't install

Teemu Matilainen
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Geoff Bowers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> However, I'm hitting all kinds of problems with Berkshelf Vagrant plugin.
>
> Am I right in thinking the recent release of Vagrant 1.1 has broken the
> plugin?

Yes, the issue is tracked here:
https://github.com/RiotGames/berkshelf/issues/416

> Should I be uninstalling Vagrant and going back to an earlier version? If
> so, which Vagrant version should I be using where vagrant gem install [blah]
> was the syntax?

The latest 1.0.x version should work.
Other option is to install the cookbooks manually while waiting for the fix.
I.e. install berkshelf (not as a plugin, but as a normal gem):

    gem install berkshelf

, install the cookbooks e.g.

    berks install --path=cookbooks

and then in your Vagrantfile remove the `require berkshelf` line and
specify cookbooks_path:

    chef.cookbooks_path = 'cookbooks'

--
Cheers,
    Teemu

Re: Berkshelf vagrant plugin won't install

Geoff Bowers
Teemu,

On Wednesday, 20 March 2013 04:14:01 UTC+11, Teemu Matilainen wrote:
> Am I right in thinking the recent release of Vagrant 1.1 has broken the
> plugin?

Yes, the issue is tracked here:
https://github.com/RiotGames/berkshelf/issues/416

Many thanks for that.

I got in touch with @riot and have been trying to run the berkshelf-vagrant plugin released yesterday:
  https://github.com/RiotGames/berkshelf-vagrant

Unfortunately, I'm getting another issue:
  https://github.com/RiotGames/berkshelf-vagrant/issues/3

The trace suggests that Vagrant may not be able to see the XCode command line tools, and so I can't build build the plugin within Vagrant.

Regards,

-- geoff
http://www.daemon.com.au/
skype. gb.daemon