Another provider: oVirt and RHEV

Lukas Stanek
Hi all,
while using RHEV (RedHat Enterprise Virtualization) in our company, there was no oVirt provider. So I implemented one, which works well for us. In version 0.0.1 it supports up and destroy commands only, but there are plans for future to extend its functionality.

It uses templates for new machines. So you will need to prepare your own templates before using this provider. To prepare template, there is one helper script ready to do it for you, but for RedHat (like) distros only for now.

Projects page at github: https://github.com/pradels/vagrant-ovirt

Thanks for using it and some helpful feedback ;-)

Lukas

Re: Another provider: oVirt and RHEV

Mitchell Hashimoto
Lukas,

Fantastic! Thanks! :)

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Sam Kottler <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is awesome. Thanks Lukas!

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Lukas Stanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
while using RHEV (RedHat Enterprise Virtualization) in our company, there was no oVirt provider. So I implemented one, which works well for us. In version 0.0.1 it supports up and destroy commands only, but there are plans for future to extend its functionality.

It uses templates for new machines. So you will need to prepare your own templates before using this provider. To prepare template, there is one helper script ready to do it for you, but for RedHat (like) distros only for now.

Projects page at github: https://github.com/pradels/vagrant-ovirt

Thanks for using it and some helpful feedback ;-)

Lukas

Re: Another provider: oVirt and RHEV

Ohad Levy

On Saturday, 20 April 2013 20:19:22 UTC+3, Lukas Stanek wrote:
Hi all,
while using RHEV (RedHat Enterprise Virtualization) in our company, there was no oVirt provider. So I implemented one, which works well for us. In version 0.0.1 it supports up and destroy commands only, but there are plans for future to extend its functionality.

It uses templates for new machines. So you will need to prepare your own templates before using this provider. To prepare template, there is one helper script ready to do it for you, but for RedHat (like) distros only for now.

Projects page at github: https://github.com/pradels/vagrant-ovirt

Thanks for using it and some helpful feedback ;-)
Hi Lukas,

Great seeing this! did you know that there are pretty good ruby binding [1] and even  a fog [2] implementation for ovirt? I wonder if that could help up future development?

Ohad

[1] https://github.com/abenari/rbovirt
[2] https://github.com/fog/fog/tree/master/lib/fog/ovirt

Lukas

Re: Another provider: oVirt and RHEV

Lukas Stanek
Thanks,

Ohad: Fog uses rbovirt as client to connect to oVirt, so both are used in provider :-). Fog is used as client in this provider, but there are some places, for example listing quotas, or getting datacenter id, where rbovirt is used directly. After a future release of fog will have support, direct rbovirt usage will be removed.