API's of licensed providers

Rodney Rosenda
Hi,

Can anyone point me to the API's exposed by the licensed API's, I am looking especially for the VMWare Workstation version. When writing a guest implementation you have to know some details of the used provider. The current licensed providers source code are encrypted and I can not find any documentation.

Regards,

Rodney

Re: API's of licensed providers

Mitchell Hashimoto
Rodney,

There are no published APIs yet. What are you looking for specifically?

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Rodney Rosenda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone point me to the API's exposed by the licensed API's, I am looking especially for the VMWare Workstation version. When writing a guest implementation you have to know some details of the used provider. The current licensed providers source code are encrypted and I can not find any documentation.

Regards,

Rodney

Re: API's of licensed providers

Rodney Rosenda
Mitchell,

Without looking in details into the implementation of the guest of windows I see that they are doing specific calls on the provider to retrieve a list of MAC addresses and using that to map to configured network interfaces on the guest. The implementation is for the 1.1.X version of Vagrant but the only difference with 1.2.X is that the mentioned functionality is extracted in 'capabilities'. The code indicates a dependence between a guest implementation and a provider. Providers that are not opensource must have in that case a published API otherwise you are limited in what you can do. I am basing this on a few hours of looking at the current implementation (https://github.com/sneal/vagrant-windows/tree/vagrant-1.1-plugin-architecture/lib/vagrant-windows) of a windows guest. I am quite sure that the current implementation will not work with the VMWare Workstation provider. I expected that a provider implementation is a drop in replacement, it should not matter if I am using VMWare or VirtualBox or something else because I am talking to a published API with the underlying implementation abstracted away. It is just my wishful thinking.

Regards,

Rodney