[ANN] vagrant-vmware-fusion/workstation 0.8.2

[ANN] vagrant-vmware-fusion/workstation 0.8.2

Mitchell Hashimoto
Hello all,

Continuing the rapid approach forward to version 1.0 of these
providers (finally!), another release with some good fixes is out:
version 0.8.2!

Just run `vagrant plugin install vagrant-vmware-fusion` (or
workstation) to update the plugin.

Some notable changes:

* No more symlinks for synced folders! This provider now mounts the
shared folders just like VirtualBox. Any issues with symlinks or weird
characters in the "/mnt/hgfs" folder are now gone.

* The "owner" and "group" settings on synced folders now works properly.

* Improved the route collision detection algorithms to always favor
the smallest subnet. This should get rid of false positives that were
causing the "vmnet collision" errors that weren't real issues in many
cases. Most importantly, this fixes detection around VPNs.

* Default the "virtualDev" of any network devices to e1000. This isn't
the most performant but is the most compatible. If you have the guest
tools installed, you can use custom VMX settings in the Vagrantfile to
set the virtualDev to vmxnet3 for the highest performant network
adapter, like so:

config.vm.provider "vmware_fusion" do |v|
  v.vmx["ethernet0.virtualDev"] = "vmxnet3"

Re: [ANN] vagrant-vmware-fusion/workstation 0.8.2

Rob Terhaar

On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:22:19 PM UTC-4, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
* No more symlinks for synced folders! This provider now mounts the
shared folders just like VirtualBox. Any issues with symlinks or weird
characters in the "/mnt/hgfs" folder are now gone.

I had an issue with this- I have an older cloned instance created with the 0.7.2 version of the provider. When trying to start the instance, I got the error:

The following SSH command responded with a non-zero exit status.
Vagrant assumes that this means the command failed!

mkdir -p /vagrant

I tried to fix this by running:

$ vagrant ssh

$ sudo rm /vagrant
$ exit
$ vagrant halt; vagrant up

But I still get the same error.

Re: [ANN] vagrant-vmware-fusion/workstation 0.8.2

Mitchell Hashimoto
Rob,

Ah, existing suspended VMs might have some trouble. Is it possible for
you to destroy and re-up?

If not, the "sudo rm /vagrant" should've fixed it I believe. Can you
gist the DEBUG logs?

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Rob Terhaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:22:19 PM UTC-4, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
>>
>> * No more symlinks for synced folders! This provider now mounts the
>> shared folders just like VirtualBox. Any issues with symlinks or weird
>> characters in the "/mnt/hgfs" folder are now gone.
>

> I had an issue with this- I have an older cloned instance created with the
> 0.7.2 version of the provider. When trying to start the instance, I got the
> error:
>
> The following SSH command responded with a non-zero exit status.
> Vagrant assumes that this means the command failed!
>
> mkdir -p /vagrant
>
> I tried to fix this by running:
>
> $ vagrant ssh
> $ sudo rm /vagrant
> $ exit
> $ vagrant halt; vagrant up
>
> But I still get the same error.

Re: [ANN] vagrant-vmware-fusion/workstation 0.8.2

Rob Terhaar-2
On Jul 24, 2013, at 11:38 PM, Mitchell Hashimoto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rob,
>
> Ah, existing suspended VMs might have some trouble. Is it possible for
> you to destroy and re-up?
>
> If not, the "sudo rm /vagrant" should've fixed it I believe. Can you
> gist the DEBUG logs?

Yes, destroying and re-up'ing fixed the issue.

However, removing the /vagrant symlink did not seem to fix the problem for me, I tried it a few times with no luck and finally gave up and destroyed the instance. Sorry, I can't get debug info because I already destroyed the machine- Is there an easy way to downgrade the fusion provider? And can you tell me how to get DEBUG logs?

Re: [ANN] vagrant-vmware-fusion/workstation 0.8.2

Mitchell Hashimoto
Rob,

Don't worry about it. I haven't heard of anyone hitting this issue,
and there is a decent workaround (albeit potentially annoying). I'll
handle it on a case-by-case basis since this issue is likely to
decrease over time.

Thanks!

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM, Rob Terhaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2013, at 11:38 PM, Mitchell Hashimoto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Rob,
>>
>> Ah, existing suspended VMs might have some trouble. Is it possible for
>> you to destroy and re-up?
>>
>> If not, the "sudo rm /vagrant" should've fixed it I believe. Can you
>> gist the DEBUG logs?
>
> Yes, destroying and re-up'ing fixed the issue.
>
> However, removing the /vagrant symlink did not seem to fix the problem for me, I tried it a few times with no luck and finally gave up and destroyed the instance. Sorry, I can't get debug info because I already destroyed the machine- Is there an easy way to downgrade the fusion provider? And can you tell me how to get DEBUG logs?

Re: [ANN] vagrant-vmware-fusion/workstation 0.8.2

Richard Scorer
Sorry I didn't see this before posting a new topic.

I get the mkdir -p /vagrant failing each time I try to up my box, but destroying and re-up does not solve it for me

Since my boxes are doing automated "vagrant up", I can't stop the process and manually issue commands :)

Thanks,
Richard

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM, Rob Terhaar <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="zWArmr4Z1PgJ">rob...@...> wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2013, at 11:38 PM, Mitchell Hashimoto <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="zWArmr4Z1PgJ">mitchell....@...> wrote:
>
>> Rob,
>>
>> Ah, existing suspended VMs might have some trouble. Is it possible for
>> you to destroy and re-up?
>>
>> If not, the "sudo rm /vagrant" should've fixed it I believe. Can you
>> gist the DEBUG logs?
>
> Yes, destroying and re-up'ing fixed the issue.
>
> However, removing the /vagrant symlink did not seem to fix the problem for me, I tried it a few times with no luck and finally gave up and destroyed the instance. Sorry, I can't get debug info because I already destroyed the machine- Is there an easy way to downgrade the fusion provider? And can you tell me how to get DEBUG logs?

Re: [ANN] vagrant-vmware-fusion/workstation 0.8.2

Mitchell Hashimoto
Richard,

Can you get DEBUG level logs for this please.

Thanks!