1.1 - chef solo & recipe_url

jonbarber
Hi,

We've been using Vagrant prior to 1.1 with chef solo and downloading recipes on demand via the chef.recipe_url, the idea being people simply need the Vagrantfile to bootstrap (no need to have recipes locally etc). As part of this we didn't specify chef.cookbooks_path, and everything worked fine.

With 1.1 it seems the behaviour in the chef solo provisioner has changed. Now when I use the exact same Vagrantfile I get :

chef solo provisioner:
* Cookbook path doesn't exist: <Vagrantfile dir>/cookbooks

So it looks like  the cookbooks folder must exist. I guess we can add some ruby in the Vagrantfile to create it, but that starts getting a bit ugly. It looks like the previous behaviour was to use a path within the VM itself for this.

So my questions is :

What's the least painful / correct way to specify a cookbook path which means users don't need to create anything (i.e. just download the Vagrantfile itself and just do vagrant up) ?

Thanks,

Jon.

Re: 1.1 - chef solo & recipe_url

jonbarber
Ah, so it looks like setting

config.vm.provision :chef_solo do |chef|

    chef.cookbooks_path = [[:vm, "cookbooks"]]

mimics the behaviour of pre 1.1 Vagrant as detailed below.

Thanks,

Jon.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 10:26 AM, jonbarber wrote:
[...]

Mitchell Hashimoto
Jon,

This sounds like a bug to me, even though you got it working. Can you gist your original Vagrantfile so I can check it out?

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Jon Barber <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Mitchell,

A somewhat cut down Vagrantfile still showing the issue is at https://gist.github.com/sneakybeaky/7ce35307bd73b0e9ef6d

Jon.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 02:31 PM, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that quick turnaround.

Jon.

[...]

Robert Dolca
Hi,

I use chef.cookbooks_path = "~/cookbooks" to specify the cookbook
path. It looks like it is ignored because I get

chef solo provisioner:
* Cookbook path doesn't exist: <Vagrantfile dir>/cookbooks

It worked before. Is something different in 1.1?

Robert

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Jon Barber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mitchell,
>
> Thanks for that quick turnaround.
>
> Jon.
>
> On 18 Mar 2013, at 18:24, Mitchell Hashimoto <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Jon,
>
> Fixed:
> https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/commit/59282ba9997aa41661507a555356821a366f9854
>
> Will be part of 1.1.2.
>
> Best,
> Mitchell
>

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Jon Barber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mitchell,
>>
>> A somewhat cut down Vagrantfile still showing the issue is at
>> https://gist.github.com/sneakybeaky/7ce35307bd73b0e9ef6d
>>
>> Jon.
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 02:31 PM, Mitchell Hashimoto wrote:
>>
>> Jon,
>>
>> This sounds like a bug to me, even though you got it working. Can you gist
>> your original Vagrantfile so I can check it out?
>>
>> Best,
>> Mitchell
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Jon Barber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ah, so it looks like setting
>>
>> config.vm.provision :chef_solo do |chef|
>>
>>     chef.cookbooks_path = [[:vm, "cookbooks"]]
>>
>> mimics the behaviour of pre 1.1 Vagrant as detailed below.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jon.
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013, at 10:26 AM, jonbarber wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We've been using Vagrant prior to 1.1 with chef solo and downloading
>> recipes on demand via the chef.recipe_url, the idea being people simply need
>> the Vagrantfile to bootstrap (no need to have recipes locally etc). As part
>> of this we didn't specify chef.cookbooks_path, and everything worked fine.
>>
>> With 1.1 it seems the behaviour in the chef solo provisioner has changed.
>> Now when I use the exact same Vagrantfile I get :
>>

>> chef solo provisioner:
>> * Cookbook path doesn't exist: <Vagrantfile dir>/cookbooks
>>

>> So it looks like  the cookbooks folder must exist. I guess we can add some
>> ruby in the Vagrantfile to create it, but that starts getting a bit ugly. It
>> looks like the previous behaviour was to use a path within the VM itself for
>> this.
>>
>> So my questions is :
>>
>> What's the least painful / correct way to specify a cookbook path which
>> means users don't need to create anything (i.e. just download the
>> Vagrantfile itself and just do vagrant up) ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jon.
>>

>> --
>>

>> --
>>

>> --

Re: 1.1 - chef solo & recipe_url

Robert Dolca
Hi,

I noticed that it works if I set the cookbook path for each vm (I am
using a multi-vm env). The error is raised when I set the cookbook
path using the configuration object (not the machine-specific
configuration) to set the path. In the same scenario "Run list must
not be empty." is raised even if the virtual machine has a role /
recipe specified.

Robert Dolca
+40 745 194 990
[hidden email]